On Sept 5, 2012 Scott Folsom, Vice President for Health and Parent Education moved and the Board of Directors of Los Angeles Tenth District of the California Congress of Parents, Teachers and Students, Inc. (PTA) voted to support and promote National Health Education Week.
NHEW 2012, taking place October 15-19, focuses on the theme, “Adolescent Health: Planting Seeds for a Healthier Generation.” The week calls attention to the importance of promoting and establishing healthy behaviors among our nation’s adolescents. A toolkit will be available and will include information about specific adolescent health issues — which may already be a large part of your organization’s or group’s targeted efforts — as well as tips and resources to assist your organization or group as you plan your participation in NHEW 2012.
Five daily themes have been established to highlight issues that are essential to this year’s NHEW:
- Monday, October15: Nutrition and Physical Activity: Action for healthy adolescents
- Tuesday, October 16: Tobacco and Substance Use and Abuse: Integrating evidence-based strategies for prevention
- Wednesday, October 17: Sexual Health: Making the case for comprehensive sex education
- Thursday, October 18: Emerging Trends in Adolescent Injury & Violence
- Friday, October 19: Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender Youth: Embracing diversity and promoting inclusion
Vice President for Health and Parent Education
Los Angeles Tenth District PTA