Every PTA Must File Tax Returns

Announcements Finance

Every PTA Must File Tax Returns

IRS Form 990 tax filing requirements
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 990 tax returns or an extension request Form 8868 must be filed by the return due date. Returns are due five months and 15 days after the fiscal year-end.

2012 Tax Year
(Fiscal year beginning in 2011 and ending in 2012)Form to File
Gross receipts normally equal to or less than $50,000990N
Gross receipts equal to or more than $50,000 and less than $200,000 and total assets less than $500,000990EZ
Gross receipts equal to or more than $200,000 or more, and total assets equal to or more than $500,000990

Schedule B must be completed if the PTA receives a donation of $5,000 or more from a single donor.

Be Prepared …

New State of California Filing Requirements

California State Franchise Tax Board

The California Franchise Tax Board is establishing new requirements for nonprofit groups, including PTAs, regarding the filing of Form 199. The Franchise Tax Board has started issuing state entity identification numbers for all California State PTAs. Please note: this is an entirely separate and different number than the Employer Identification Number (EIN) that the federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) already assigns each PTA.

The Franchise Tax Board has mailed letters to PTAs to inform them of their new state entity numbers; however, these letters were addressed to the schools and in some cases did not clearly reference the PTA. Please check to see whether your PTA or school has received this new number.

California Attorney General’s Office, Registry of Charitable Trusts, The State Attorney General’s Office is also establishing new requirements for who must file for a charitable trust number. Los Angeles Tenth District PTSA is committed to providing information and guidance to you to help understand and comply with the new state requirements. Please check your e-mails and the Tenth District PTSA newsletter, The District View.