Tax Reports and Insurance Premium

 Tax Reports and Insurance Premium  Announcements, Finance  Comments Off on Tax Reports and Insurance Premium
Nov 142016

Insurance Premium Payment


Workers Compensation Annual Payroll Report

(Attach insurance premium payment to workers compensation report and forward to council or District PTA as directed by their dues date)

After, December 10, 2017 there will be a late fee of $25.00 per unit or council.



2017 Tax year-(Fiscal year beginning July 1, 2016 and ending in June 30, 2017)

  • 990N  e-Postcard complete online.  Electronic filing is free.  Gross receipts normally less than or equal to $50,000.
  • 990 EZ or 990  Gross Receipts more than $50,000 and less than $200,000 and assets less than $500.000
  • 199N e-Postcard complete on-line electronic filing is free.  Gross Receipts normally less than or equal to $50,000 199N
  • 199 Form to file, Gross Receipts more than $50,000
  • California Attorney General’s Office, Registry of Charitable Trusts RRF-1 Form: For instructions on how to file the RRF-1, call your Council Treasurer or Tenth District at (323) 453-8628.

Due: November 15, 2017

Additional help completing the TAX forms or Step by Step instructions: email: or go to the California State PTA Tax Filing Support Center.

Oct 262014

It’s tax form filing time again! Federal and state laws require every PTA to file the following tax forms annually:

  • IRS Form 990 (990, 990EZ or 990N)
  • California State Franchise Tax Board Form 199 (199 or 199N)
  • Registry of Charitable Trusts RRF-1

These filings and forms are due four and one half months after the end of the fiscal year or on November 15, if your fiscal year ends June 30. Check your bylaws for your specific fiscal year.

California State PTA and Tenth District PTSA are here to help you!
Our Tax Filing Support Center is available exclusively to PTA leaders. We can help you with what to file and how to file your tax information. If you have tax questions, we have answers.

Have you received correspondence from a governmental agency? Immediately notify the state PTA office. Complete the online form or call toll free at 1 (888) 564-6782. Then contact Tenth District PTSA at, or call (213) 745-7190. Forward copies of the correspondence to  the State PTA and the Tenth District PTSA.

Learn more about important reports that your PTA must file.
Nov 202012

An audit is a formal examination of the financial books and records of the financial officers of the PTA.

An audit determines the accuracy of the books, detects inconsistencies or errors, and provides recommendations for corrective action.

It also protects the financial officers, verifies that funds were sent through channels as appropriate, and assures the membership that the association’s resources were managed in a businesslike manner within the regulations established for their use.

Read More>>

Nov 032012

All Units & Councils,

NOW is the time to make sure YOU have the following important documents for the IRS:

IRS 990 N (e-card) complete electronically. Complete on-line:

(Deadline: November 15, 2012)

FTB 199 complete on-line: November 15, 2012)

CT Number (Registry of Charitable Trust) (Deadline: December 7, 2012)

If you have your CT number PLEASE File your Annual Registration Renewal Fee Report To Attorney General of California (RRF – 1).

Click on the Charitable Trust Checklist.

Click on the Charitable Trust Initial Registration Form.

Click on the Charitable Trust Instruction Guide.

You also can download the application form by going to

Read More…

Oct 242012

Every PTA Must File Tax Returns

IRS Form 990 tax filing requirements
Internal Revenue Service (IRS) Form 990 tax returns or an extension request Form 8868 must be filed by the return due date. Returns are due five months and 15 days after the fiscal year-end.

2012 Tax Year
(Fiscal year beginning in 2011 and ending in 2012) Form to File
Gross receipts normally equal to or less than $50,000 990N
Gross receipts equal to or more than $50,000 and less than $200,000 and total assets less than $500,000 990EZ
Gross receipts equal to or more than $200,000 or more, and total assets equal to or more than $500,000 990

Schedule B must be completed if the PTA receives a donation of $5,000 or more from a single donor.

Be Prepared …

New State of California Filing Requirements

California State Franchise Tax Board

The California Franchise Tax Board is establishing new requirements for nonprofit groups, including PTAs, regarding the filing of Form 199. The Franchise Tax Board has started issuing state entity identification numbers for all California State PTAs. Please note: this is an entirely separate and different number than the Employer Identification Number (EIN) that the federal Internal Revenue Service (IRS) already assigns each PTA.

The Franchise Tax Board has mailed letters to PTAs to inform them of their new state entity numbers; however, these letters were addressed to the schools and in some cases did not clearly reference the PTA. Please check to see whether your PTA or school has received this new number.

California Attorney General’s Office, Registry of Charitable Trusts, The State Attorney General’s Office is also establishing new requirements for who must file for a charitable trust number. Los Angeles Tenth District PTSA is committed to providing information and guidance to you to help understand and comply with the new state requirements. Please check your e-mails and the Tenth District PTSA newsletter, The District View.